Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Report from the MoCo Farm Tour


Peaches and blackberries are in season here in Montgomery County. I was vaguely aware my county had peaches, but who knew we grew blackberries, too?

I discovered some great new places last Sunday, when my wife, mother and I participated in the Montgomery County Farm Tour and Harvest Sale. We visited Poolesville's Homestead Farm, 230 acres that have been farmed by the Allnutt family since 1763. It's a picturesque place in the county's agricultural reserve. You could pick your own blackberries and peaches; we didn't -- it was too hot.

We bought some of the fruit and some sweet corn and green peppers. Then we visited Lewis Orchards farm market, and then ended at the Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard, which has some nice wines, I must say. Check it out if you're ever near Sugarloaf Mountain.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home